Work life balance is an issue of strategic importance to organizations having significance to employees in terms of job satisfaction. When satisfaction from job and work life balance is achieved, best possible quality of life is attained.
Employees are termed to be greatest resource of an organization. Attracting and retaining the right people is critical to the success of an organization. Human environment tend to focus on the human aspects that influence an employee’s performance and job satisfaction. Job satisfaction has been defined as the degree to which employees have a positive & effective orientation towards employment by the organization. Job satisfaction creates innovative ideas among the employees which helps to build mutual beneficial relationships between employee and employer. Employees tend to be more satisfied if they get what they expected with efficient work life balance.
Finding suggests that Work-Life balance can be achieved by the factors responsible for job satisfaction such as: supportive colleagues, supportive working conditions, mentally challenging work, equitable rewards and employee oriented policies etc. let’s go through these factors in details.
Why there is need for work-life balance
There is great need for life balance as it is division of energy between the different aspects of person’s life (work, friends and family). It is generally assumed too much emphasis on work frequently results in feelings of loneliness and frustration. Similarly not giving enough emphasis prevents employees from getting work done and climbing the ladders success. Hence organization need to understand how to encourage employees to strike a balance and become part of the solutions. Helping the employees to juggle work and home responsibilities enables them to focus on work when positively responding to family issues is allowed. Giving space to employees for family and social needs reduces their stress levels and pump in more energy to be utilized for work. This allows your employees to perform better, building their confidence and increasing job satisfaction. Hence Job satisfaction tends to increase with improved life balance, which in turn increases employee loyalty, creativity and productivity.
Looking forward to keep Work Rewarding
The working sphere of employees in India is changing at incredible pace due to progressive reduction in trade barriers, modern innovation in technologies, globally interconnected market place, cut throat competition and business rivalry and changing family and population patterns. These factors bring out tense anxiety into the life of the employee and then it is magnified many times if both the husband wife work and they have children of growing age and old age parents. This constant worry can cause disorder on the psychological comfort of the employee due to a feeling of diminished control over one's life and a hopeless perception that there is never enough time to have a sensible stability and balance in life.
Job satisfaction frequently depends on an employee's perception that they are being respected. By acknowledging the value of their time and making adjustments to maximize its usefulness, organization need to help them find some balance and reduce frustration levels. A positive and healthy employee oriented culture translates into increased job satisfaction and productivity while work life imbalance causes relationship degradation and job dissatisfaction especially for women employees because working too much may cause women to miss family interactions as well as important events.
Effects of Work-Life Balance and Job Satisfaction
- • Workers Punctuality, Teamwork, Customer service, work supervision responsibility, group behavior, peer interaction and leadership initiative by workers are reduced.
- • Recognition is the part of job satisfaction. It is an act of notice, praise, or blame supplied by one or more superiors, peer, colleague, management person, client or the general public. Failure in getting recognition leads to poor job satisfaction.
- • Creativity, new job-expertise learning and innovation of worker are grossly damaged due to lowering of work related enthusiasm among workers.
- • Seniority demands the promotion and promotion facilitates mental satisfaction. It refers to designate an actual change in upward direction in job status. The promotion to the next level will result in positive changes such as pay, autonomy and supervision etc.
- • Workers having problem balancing work roles and family roles, set bad standard in the company work setting and often upset the friendly work ambience.
- • There is no doubt that monetary rewards may play a very influential role in determining job satisfaction. If salaries are not market oriented, this can lead to dissatisfaction.
- • Workers problems get reflected negatively on company’s turnover, operating profit and balance sheet.
- • If the employee experiences the healthy relationship with others within the organization, it will boost the morale and satisfaction toward the job and lead to the higher productivity.
When satisfaction from job and work life balance is achieved, people feel that they have attained the best possible quality of life. Work life balance is an issue of strategic importance to organizations and having significance to employees especially for women employees in terms of job satisfaction. Organizational awareness and action with respect to implementing job satisfaction and work life balance strategies hinges on an Organization’s need to attract and retain valued employees in a highly competitive labour market.
Hence Long-term job satisfaction requires the potential for growth for most people. Ensuring that your employees have time to pursue their educational goals not only empowers them, but it can bring some creative inspiration to team. Opportunities for advancement and increased responsibilities also keep employees feeling like they are moving forward leading to increased job satisfaction.